During this particularly stressful year, one of the big health source for many people has been the practice of reading books.
Research shows that just 30 minutes of reading a day can allow us to physically reset, lowering our blood pressure, heart rate, and levels of stress. But reading can also support our mental health by allowing us to make sense of a difficult past or struggles in our life, provide and experience good feelings of hope. Bibliotherapy, or the practice of using books and other forms of literature to support a patient’s mental health, has been used by therapists since the early 20th century, so we should take time off screen time and enjoy great books about running or any other subject we really appreciate.
Health Benefits of Reading Books
- Improves brain connectivity
- Increases your vocabulary and comprehension
- Empowers you to empathize with other people
- Improves quality of sleep
- Reduces stress
- Lowers blood pressure and heart rate
- Fights depression symptoms
- Prevents cognitive decline as you age
- Contributes to a longer life
BEST RUNNING BOOKS OF 2020
- The Runner’s Expert Guide to Stretching: Prevent Injury, Build Strength and Enhance Performance by Paul Hobrough
- Easy Running Plans: Total-Body Training for Speed, Strength, and Endurance by Jeff Gaudette
- Science of Running: Analyze Your Technique, Prevent Injury, Revolutionize Your Training by Chris Napier
- Run to the Finish: The Everyday Runner’s Guide to Avoiding Injury, Ignoring the Clock, and Loving the Run by Amanda Brooks
- Running Wild: A Quest for Healing across 7 Continents by Bobby O’Donnell
- Spirit Run: A 6,000-Mile Marathon through North America’s Stolen Land by Noé Álvarez
- Keep Running: How to Run Injury-free with Power and Joy for Decades by Andrew Kastor
- Running the Dream: One Summer Living, Training, and Racing with a Team of World-Class Runners Half My Age by Matt Fitzgerald
- Win at All Costs: Inside Nike Running and Its Culture of Deception by Matt Hart
- Bravey: Being an Olympic runners, Pappas shows how anyone can overcome, dream, and chase goals like a bravey. Bravey by Alexi Pappas
READ GREAT RUNNING BOOKS, FEEL GOOD, RUN STRONG!